Takashi Miike is a Japanese film director known for his theatrical video and television productions. Although I'm not a staunch fan of his work, he has made some adaptations that got me undoubtedly captivated because of the fidelity to the original concepts.
One example that I'd like to briefly talk about is his movie Ace Attorney from 2012, where he doesn't simply synthesizes the Ace Attorney videogame's plot, but also adjusts the videogame dynamics into a cinematographic spectacle.
That was my first approaching to Miike, and although his movies are not good on their own. They are pretty enjoyable when you already know the franchise he is adapting. His work is kind of fanservice.
Taking into consideration what I said, I felt very excited when I knew he released his movie JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable Chapter 1 because it's based in one of the most famous manga (and one of my favourite), Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. The manga is unique because of his artistic and pictorical style, and also has a trend to use the manga format to bring the story to more abstracts ideas. The challenge of adapting the 80's manga to an audiovisual format was so hard that just recently, in 2012, the newest anime version of Jojo got, for the first time, the approval of the fans.I was pretty aware about the adaptation difficulties this manga has, so I think you will understand how incredibly excited I felt when I knew a live action adaptation was going to be released by Miike. I already knew he is not good at synthesizing plots, but adapting dynamics. In JoJo the atmosphere, character design, acting, visual composition and fantastics incidents are highly more important as a seal of the manga. And that's what the movie offers!
I don't think a person that's not familiar with the manga/anime of Jojo could understand the movie, and that's a real pity. But I invite you to take a look at Jojo and, rather you like it or not, I guarantee it won't be a waste of your time if you watch the entire anime to understand the movie. Bye Bye!


I always liked the aesthetic of mangas. I could watch Jojo and prove is not a waste of time!
ResponderEliminar