The reason I became a filmmaking student is kind of a long story.
I've always enjoyed to draw, since I was a kid. My sister always supported my artist facet by giving me colour pencils and stuff. Besides, since I was very young, I started to like cartoons, so I used to draw my favourite TV series. I was so in love with anime and cartoons that I dreamt of drawing my own stories.
Then I discovered the comic format (well, my sister showed it to me hehe), which I could use to draw and write my own stories!
I've drawn comics since I was six years old until now. When I was in fourth year of high school, I was pretty conscious that drawing comics was the only thing I could enjoy for life, even taking into account that I was skilled in another subjetcs.
It's a relief that my family didn't push me to get into a career right away after graduating from highschool. If that were the case, I would probably be studying graphic design. I'm totally sure that in that career I wouldn't be as happy as I am studying filmmaking.
The year after I graduated from highschool, I went to a pre-university while I thought what I really wanted to study. For a while, I felt like the career I needed to fulfill my dreams didn't exist. Then I started to go to a comic script workshop. Along my youth, I was never satisfied by going to drawing workshops for my comics, because I wanted to get better at writing stories, not at drawing. That's why I felt so excited when I discovered the scriptwriter job.
For the first time I realized what job could fulfill my desire of drawing good stories. I didn't hesitate at asking my workshop teacher for help at choosing a career. Although he didn't really help me choosing, he turned into a model for me. I did what I could to follow his steps.
I looked for a scriptwriting career. Althoguh there are many universities with that career, I prefered to study filmmaking in Universidad de Chile, just because of his high status between universities. That way, I could specialize later in scriptwriting.
Although scriptwriting keeps being my favourite thing to do in my career, I've discovered that every role in filmmaking is dependent on cinematographic storytelling. So I learned to enjoy every field of my career and nowadays I'm open to almost any filmmaking project. By the way, I also keep drawing and working on my comic projects hehe, bye-bye!
That is so fun! I also enjoy sriptwritting. Maybe you should try something with animation too
ResponderEliminar